Monday, July 8, 2013

Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary

It has been weeks since I last visited Waseeka.....as soon as I entered the Cart Path Trail, I noticed a new wildflower in bloom along the sides of the trail.

Spotted Wintergreen


Once I got near the dam, the osprey started calling its danger call and circling above me.  I assume this is the mother, but don't know how to tell the sexes.  There was one juvenile sitting on the edge of the nest, so I was apparently a dangerous threat.  Well, excuse me!  I really only wanted to check the flowers along the dam for butterflies.  It's a bit unnerving, though, to have an osprey casting its shadow over you again and again.  

Osprey


Osprey (Juvenile)
Click to enlarge and you can see the white spots on its back that distinguish it from adult birds.

Pearl Crescents were the star of the day.  They were fluttering all along the edge of the water, and some were enjoying the Black-Eyed Susans.  There was a gusty breeze, so it was hard to get a crisp photo.






I also spotted two other varieties:

 Little Wood Satyr


Gray Hairstreak

As I was leaving the dam, I could hear a Baltimore Oriole bringing food to its nest.  Sounds like there are a few hungry babies in it.  Next time, I'll be sure to bring my binoculars!

The ospreys reminded me of the Red-Tailed Hawks I saw this morning at Wildwood Cemetery.  A juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk was sitting in the tree and its parent was screeching and circling above.  

Red-Tailed Hawk



No comments:

Post a Comment