Saturday, July 6, 2013

ACG and SPL Butterflies

I spent some time this morning at Ashland Community Gardens, where I have a plot for the first time!  I harvested my first yellow squash today, and I also saw my first butterflies in the butterfly garden!  Last year, I could only look at the butterflies through the chain link fence.  This year, I am able to enjoy the butterflies from inside!  I added 5 tall verbena plants to my bed.  Hope that is enough to attract some butterflies!


The butterfly garden at ACG is a Certified Monarch Way Station.  Milkweed is a requirement (because monarchs only lay their eggs on milkweed) and much of it is blooming now.


Silver Spotted Skipper and Great Spangled Fritillary


 Great Spangled Fritillary



Widow Skimmer (immature male)



Cabbage White

====

After lunch, I walked a short while at the Sherborn Power Lines and saw the following:

 Common Wood Nymph


again



Wood Lily


American Copper


Gray Hairstreak on Yellow Wild Indigo


Gray Hairstreak on Dogbane


Aphrodite Fritillary on Dogbane
(This is a life butterfly!!!)


Least Skipper



Prairie Warbler 
(only a quick glimpse before it flew away)


Gray Hairstreak






No comments:

Post a Comment