Monday, July 15, 2013

ACG and Yard Butterflies

I visited Ashland Community Gardens today, picked two more summer squash, watered and enjoyed all the butterflies and one ruby-throated hummingbird, too!


Great Spangled Fritillary on zinnia


Northern Broken Dash Skippers in pre-mating dance
(unconfirmed)


Great Spangled Fritillary


Northern Broken Dash on Verbena
See its cute little "smile"?!


Broad-winged Skipper


Pearl Crescent


Silver Spotted Skipper on Butterfly Bush


Orange Sulphur on Pink Coneflower


Meanwhile, back at home, one beautiful black-eyed susan survived the woodchuck's ravenous appetite and bloomed this year.  I'm sure this is a special variety, but as usual, I did not keep records on what I planted.  Sure is a pretty one!



Great Spangled Fritillary on butterfly bush


Silver-Spotted Skipper on Sweet Pea





2 comments:

  1. Great set of butterflies there. Sounds like a good place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, that makes me laugh because if you came here from Scotland, I would never take you to this place! It's an old tennis court turned into raised bed gardens for use by my town's residents. They did plant a monarch waystation there, and have 2 nice butterfly gardens on one side. Besides the good butterflies, it really isn't too much of a tourist destination! :)

      Delete