Thursday, May 28, 2015

Turtles at Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary

I took a morning (pre-work) hike at Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary in Hopkinton.


Common Pondhawk (female)

There were three turtles along the path on the dam this morning.  One was actively digging; another was still; and a third ran back to the water as I walked towards it.  Two were Eastern Painted Turtles and one was a Snapping Turtle.  This is the first time I have come across this behavior, and I was fascinated.  The hole was quite deep beneath the rear legs of the turtle that was digging.  I wish I could have set up a time lapse and recorded the whole thing!

 Turtle #1 - Eastern Painted

Closer



White-Spotted Sable Moth

 Turtle #2 - Eastern Painted
Definitely preparing to lay eggs

Common Yarrow


possible Eastern Forktail 
(older female)

Turtle #3 - Snapping Turtle
with a face only a mother could love

 Eastern Forktail (male)


No comments:

Post a Comment