Monday, May 4, 2015

Lunch Break at BHCL

I have been watching for Wild Oats.  Today was the first day I found them in bloom.  They seem smaller than last year.  I didn't notice the bee in the photo until I saw it on my computer.

Wild Oats


I don't know my trees, but these freshly opened leaves really caught my eye.  Aren't they beautiful?

Savannah Sparrow

The grass in the back meadows is finally getting some height.  This was the first visit where I saw lots of Savannah Sparrows flushing from the meadow directly across from the pond.  There were at least thirty.  They would flush a few at a time, gathering and splitting up, some landing, and some flying again, so it was hard to keep an accurate count of them.  Really beautiful to see so many in their native habitat!  There were also Chipping Sparrows at this same intersection, but they were keeping to the pathways, especially the paved hill, where they were foraging.

Chipping Sparrow


I didn't mention that it was sunny and nearly 80 degrees!  I am not used to the warm temperatures.  It's been a long time since I broke a sweat on one of my walks (not counting this past weekend)!

Song Sparrow




Eastern Bluebird

I did see three Mourning Cloaks in the woods and one Cabbage White in the meadow, but not one of them cooperated for a photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment