Saturday, December 27, 2014

Harlequin Ducks

I decided to head north up the coast to Ogunquit, Maine.  I stopped first at Cape Neddick Lighthouse (Nubble Light) in York, Maine.  I had always wanted to stop here, and today, I finally got my wish!


A true Maine Christmas tree (note the star)


I saw a lot of beautiful Long-Tailed Ducks as well as Common Eiders in the rough seas around the lighthouse park.

Long-Tailed Duck (male)

Long-Tailed Duck (female)

Common Eider (first winter male)

Next stop was The Cliff House on Bald Head Cliff in Cape Neddick Maine.  I had read on line that this was a good stop for checking out ocean ducks, particularly in winter months.  Since I had never been here before, I thought I'd give it a try.  I couldn't pass up this little shack covered with buoys on my way there.


From Bald Head Cliff, I could see large flocks of distant ocean-going ducks, a good majority of which were Common Eiders.


Next stop:  The Marginal Way, Ogunquit, Maine

Harlequin Duck (male)

Harlequin pair

On the 3rd day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:  3 Harlequin Ducks!


Common Eider

 Black Scoters

another Maine Christmas tree!

 Common Loon

Horned Grebe


I thought these kids must have been from the Midwest!  They had to get in the water!

Today, the weathervanes were catching my eye:




Paddle boarder enjoying the surf







No comments:

Post a Comment