Friday, June 3, 2016

Pileated Woodpeckers

I spent my lunch break at Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary.  I've gone a few times, hoping to see activity at the Pileated Woodpecker nest and although I often heard them, I had not seen them other than one quick fly-by.  This time my luck changed!

 Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetle

Northern Cloudywing

Pileated Woodpecker (the father)

Pileated Woodpecker babies




Pearl Crescents (mating)

 Hobomok Skipper (I think)

Pearl Crescent

Hobomok Skipper

Indian Cucumber Root
in bloom
(Remember the plants that made me think of ballerinas?  This is it in bloom.)

Black Swallowtail

     
Pink Ladyslippers




After work, Freddie and I took an hour's hike at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land:

The light on the buttercups was lovely!

Song Sparrow

I noticed on the computer that this sparrow has a bad leg.  It looks like its foot is broken.  Poor thing! So far, it's surviving all right in spite of it.

European Skipper

Salt Marsh Moth

Small Milkweed Bug

Silvery Blue
looking a little worse for wear

Wild Geranium
(looking spectacular in the evening light)

I LOVE these wildflowers!

Pearl Crescent among the Wild Geranium

Hobomok Skipper

Red Admiral

This Red Admiral was flying around in the same area as a couple other butterflies, and they kept chasing it off.  It tried to land on my pants a few times, but immediately flew off.  I would have loved to try to take a photo of it on me.

Whorled Loosestrife in the evening light






No comments:

Post a Comment