Sunday, January 3, 2016

A Baker's Dozen

Each January, the bird lists are wiped clean, and every bird species is a "first" again.  Usually I go out on January 1st, but this year, I had company, so today was my first foray out into nature.  I went over to Westboro and checked out several locations.  I didn't manage to see many birds, but it was a start.  The year stretches ahead.  No sense trying to get them all the first weekend!

I did see the following baker's dozen, all typical species of this time of year:
  1. American Coot
  2. American Crow
  3. American Goldfinch
  4. American Robin
  5. Black-Capped Chickadee
  6. Canada Goose
  7. Dark-Eyed Junco
  8. European Starling
  9. Mute Swan
  10. Rock Pigeon
  11. Song Sparrow
  12. Tufted Titmouse
  13. White-Breasted Nuthatch
Cedar Swamp

 Black-Capped Chickadee
using its feet to cling to the branch and hold a morsel of food at the same time

 Song Sparrow

Puffed up for warmth.  Winter temps are finally here.

No comments:

Post a Comment