Monday, November 10, 2014

Late Season Butterflies at Hopkinton State Park

58 degrees.  Sunshine.   With a polar vortex predicted for later this week, I did not take the warm temperature for granted and totally enjoyed my lunch break outdoors.   I wanted to walk past the dam at Hopkinton State Park to the lower, drained beach to see what birds might be around.  On may way I was so surprised to find butterflies!  There were three sulphurs weakly flying around a patch of clover near the dam.

Orange Sulphur

Killdeer

Great Blue Heron

Clouded Sulphur

Clouded Sulphur (white form)

When I walked back to the parking lot, a flock of Dark-Eyed Juncos (snowbirds) led the way, flying from tree to tree ahead of me.  

Dark-Eyed Junco


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Not in butterfly form. The Orange Sulphur overwinters as 3rd or 4th instar caterpillar. The Clouded Sulphur as 3rd instar caterpillar. These individuals are doomed.

      Delete